Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer opportunity in Kelowna? Do you like to cook?? Are you looking for an opportunity to volunteer with a friend or two? We are looking for caring, compassionate people like you to volunteer! Inn From The Cold – Kelowna is looking for volunteers in our 35-bed emergency winter shelter which operates from November to April. One volunteer opportunity in the shelter is the food shift that is from 6pm until 9pm and there is 1 shift available per evening.
When you sign up for a “Food Shift” that means you’re purchasing, preparing and serving the meal. The cost of the evening meal is a donation of the person(s) who prepare it, and an in-kind tax receipt can be issued upon request. Shift duties include:
- Purchasing food to prepare at the shelter to comply with Public Health expectations. Please note that meals to not have to be expensive or extravagant, let your own budget be the guide,.
- Serve meal to guests who have registered for the evening, usually around 8pm once everyone has settled. If an extra handed is needed there are other volunteers who can help with food service.
- Wash and sanitize dishes and tidying kitchen area
Throughout the season we offer a variety of different training opportunities for our volunteers at no-charge or at a discounted price (to cover cost of materials). Training opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Vulnerable Populations
- Harm Reduction Workshop
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Food Safe
- Problem Gambling